Injury Prevention Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injury Prevention Tips

The number one priority with training is to be consistent. What can get in the way of achieving this are injuries that occur due to several factors I will discuss.

What generally causes injuries within the gym?
    The number one cause of injuries on the weights floor is the individual hurting themselves during the eccentric part of the movement (the lengthening part of the movement).
    Having tempo structured within your training will stop this from occurring. An example would be having a tempo of 3010.

What is 3010?
    Put simply the amount of time to perform 1 repetition. 3 seconds down on the eccentric part of the movement...0 seconds pause at the bottom...1 second up on the concentric part of the movement... 0 seconds rest at the top.

Other variables
    Muscular imbalances are the second greatest cause of injuries. For example if you have over developed quadriceps but lagging hamstrings then the chance of pulling one of the muscles in the hamstring is greatly increased. The ideal power ratio for quadriceps and hamstrings is 60:40. If you're interested in finding out your power ratio you can find an organisation that has isokinetic cybex machines and test it for yourself.

Make sure your programming your workouts so everything is evenly distributed. If you think not training “abs” is ok then good chance you're going to have a lower back injury along the way.

An Injury Example
    A common injury is elbow tendonitis. There is a lot of bro science when it comes to how to treat this kind of injury. Constantly ice the injury, eccentrically load the triceps (true to a certain degree) or don’t train triceps…...RUBBISH. What generally causes elbow tendonitis is muscular imbalance. Training biceps and triceps but neglecting the muscles of the forearm. Program weekly exercises for the extensors and flexors of the forearm. 4 sets of pronated wrist curls and supinated wrist curls with a straight barbell will alleviate the injury and fast.

love ur posts mate! keep em coming.

Comment

Great timing brother done a elbow last week old work injury tree felling, flared up doing chins or weighted dips giving me yip all week at work I'll give this a go cheers mate

Sent from my ZTE Blade A462 using Tapatalk

Comment

another great article bro!

Comment

Learning heaps from u bro

Comment

hrvtska loving your informative posts mate. Very much appreciate you taking the time to post.

Comment

Keep the info coming bro, excellent.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Great post mate. I like to throw in cross body hammers as well when training forearms. Seems like im the only one still doing these, these days though.
                Bodhi- "If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love."

Comment

Bodhi1042
                  cross hammer are biceps more than forarms . Standard hammer curls is both

Comment

Originally posted by mooeymini View Post
                    Bodhi1042
                    cross hammer are biceps more than forarms . Standard hammer curls is both
                    Agree to disagree brother. I do them for the brachialradialus and in my experience the bicep switches off more when doing the cross body curls which burns the shit out of my forearms. Might just be an individual anatomy thing though.
                    Last edited by Bodhi1042; 09-04-2019, 01:56 PM.
                    Bodhi- "If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love."

Comment

Bodhi1042 I feel biceps burn either way for me lol.
                      Only thing abt across hammer u can't go as heavy as standard.

Comment

Originally posted by mooeymini View Post
                        Bodhi1042 I feel biceps burn either way for me lol.
                        Only thing abt across hammer u can't go as heavy as standard.
                        I like the "for me". That's what it's all about brother. SO many things come into play. We are each SO different.got a killer bi workout today bro. One of the best I've had in years! Was fucking great!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X