Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imedical anonymous testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Imedical anonymous testing

    Imedical can now offer anonymous testing. We can use a similar system to Clinical trials. Just enter the first two letters of first name and first two letters of Surname in the 'details for Pathology referral' on the checkout page.
    use the correct d.o.b so reference ranges are correct.

    We have had this approved by the Labs and the Public Health Unit.

    Any confusion at collection time just explain it is meant to be this way, similar to a clinical trial. Or just call us from the rooms and will intervene and easily sort on the spot.

    Regardless, the normal way is absolutely confidential. Just for the super paranoid out there lol. Simplier to not bother with this, but an option for folks.

    #2
    Purely out of curiosity - does this bypass the regulations of following the guidelines and reporting procedures if someone comes back positive for an STI?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by God View Post
      Purely out of curiosity - does this bypass the regulations of following the guidelines and reporting procedures if someone comes back positive for an STI?
      The old asking for a mate eh.... lol.

      Comment


        #4
        Actually a good question.
        We are in contact with the public health unit on a semi regular basis for exactly this sort of thing. Also other issues such as heavy metal toxicities.
        They are only interested in the suburb, sex and age of the person. This is so they can keep an eye on potential disease outbreaks in the community. They are not interested in identifying that person as such.
        When we deal with them they are satisfied with the postcode of the person.
        We have checked with them that this is all above board and wont cause problems for the public health unit later on. They have given us the ok

        If this patient had to be contacted urgently we have enough information for this.
        Last edited by Imed; 12-09-2019, 07:01 PM.

        Comment


          #5
          God Sorry couldn’t help myself. This is interesting though I didn’t even know it was a thing. Learn something every day

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Trigger View Post
            God Sorry couldn’t help myself. This is interesting though I didn’t even know it was a thing. Learn something every day
            Haha the behind the scenes of this type of stuff is really interesting!

            Cheers Imed , I know a few companies out there say they have to report it to a dr and fully de-anonymise the patient and then they are investigated about where and whom they have been with...

            Comment


              #7
              Sometimes a bit of misinformation around. In our experience all that is requested name and postcode. We have had some serious infectious disease positives as well

              Possibly if something like an ebola positive or similar, or at least something dangerous was seen then all bets are off and a full investigation needs to happen.
              but from our experience, and we deal a bit with the public health unit they have never requested more personal info than above. They dont even have the pt address as one of our mailing addresses is always used on the path form . This is why we were often dealing with them. Too many cluster outbreaks in Wollstonecraft lol.
              they understand what we do now and we work with them and have mutual respect.

              the other companies may not have any Drs involved. We do. All std positive results need to be reviewed by a dr before release. But this is a different thing to the public health unit notifications. The labs actually do this. The PHU's then follow up with us if needed
              Last edited by Imed; 13-09-2019, 03:59 PM.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Imed View Post
                Sometimes a bit of misinformation around. In our experience all that is requested name and postcode. We have had some serious infectious disease positives as well

                Possibly if something like an ebola positive or similar, or at least something dangerous was seen then all bets are off and a full investigation needs to happen.
                but from our experience, and we deal a bit with the public health unit they have never requested more personal info than above. They dont even have the pt address as one of our mailing addresses is always used on the path form . This is why we were often dealing with them. Too many cluster outbreaks in Wollstonecraft lol.
                they understand what we do now and we work with them and have mutual respect.

                the other companies may not have any Drs involved. We do. All std positive results need to be reviewed by a dr before release. But this is a different thing to the public health unit notifications. The labs actually do this. The PHU's then follow up with us if needed
                Haha Ebola positive, they would be recommending shutting the whole damn city down until they knew it was contained. Most people who are flagged for notify-able and investigable usually are over-seas travellers or have been in contact with someone who is a traveller.

                Other companies just write their policies without actually looking into what they can and can't do so they just go with the cation side of things.

                Yea its usually just as you mentioned:

                Blood requests <-> off to lab for testing <-> Doctor reviews / reports to patients <-> Pending the results doctor / health service notifies appropriate departments / people <-> Labs send anonymised patient samples to larger labs where all the non-clinical testing occurs <-> Further investigations done if required.


                Epidemiologists are all about that data haha

                Comment


                  #9
                  To be honest i thought ot may be problematic to do the anonymous thing. This is why i thought it best to actually speak directly to the PHU. They said all ok. They know we use our address on forms so technically there is no patient identifiable address. As long as the patient can be contacted in an emergency and we know what area they the are then all ok they said.
                  the labs actually said to use the 2 letter method. But i was dubious. Just because im aware of the notifiable disease issue .

                  But who am i to doubt the health unit lol

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X